Sunday, January 08, 2006

A Good Day

I'm pretty worn out and constantly frustrated by this nasal drip cold thing that settled in this weekend, the Giants embarrased themselves and I lost both of my own football games BUT it was a great day. A great day because I played two football games for the first time in about 6 weeks. My right ankle is still nearly twice the size of my left and it did complain quite a bit, but it worked and I was able to play at a pretty decent level. Just took the club of tape off it-as well as the brace Dave lent me-and there isn't anything outwardly disturbing about it.

Victory.

One of those things...the injury has had me thinking quite a bit about how I am older now and about how things don't heal back as fast as they used to and how some things never get all the way good again. The way the ankle barked after I tested it a few times on a treadmill this week had me wondering if I was ever realistically going to get back out and play something as pylometric as football. When you're just racing around in your daily life you kind of assume everything will just be the way it is...until something comes along-and goddamn if it doesn't always do so-and lets you know things can change at any moment, and things you enjoy you will not be able to do forever.

I wouldn't have thought it possible, but I am going to have a lot more fun playing football from now on, however long that is.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:30 PM EST

    Thinking about what the human body is still capable of doing-- even imperfectly-- always constitutes a good day. Good day, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:58 PM EST

    You have my sympathies, sir. I twisted my ankle a month ago. Having a history of sprains, this one really didn't seem bad enough to do anything about. So I didn't. Until last week when I realized that, 3 weeks later, it was still giving me crap.

    No breaks...however, I did manage to do some damage to my tendons. I'm in an aircast, and am looking at 6 weeks of PT.

    However, as h said... it's still good. I can still walk, drive, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Martha, drop me a line at don(at)donwoodonline.com and let me know what your symptoms/treatment was/is. I'd love to pick your brain about the PT stuff.
    -don

    ReplyDelete