Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sign of the Times

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

As the economic crapwave that has been washing across the coutry begins to break across the Hudson, we've started to see a few new things. Real estate signs started appearing again about four months ago after maybe a decade of invisibility. Why bother to put up a sign when the mere rumor of a sale would bring a stampede of calls?

Today on the way to work I passed a new first since 2001 when I got here. I stopped and took the picture above on the phone I now write this on. It is a bunch of laborers standing on a street corner waiting for someone to drive by and hire them. Until recently, these guys have been doing the dirty work of the Throw 'Em Up condo boom. Now, many of these sites are just being abandoned and these guys are out of work.

I worry about these guys, but also selfishly worry about them turning the labor market here into the how-low-can-you-go Death Valley of Wages that drove me out of Texas and up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment