Sunday, January 29, 2006

Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story | Official Movie Site | Picturehouse

Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story | Official Movie Site | Picturehouse

Saw this yesterday and would recommend it highly. It is a perfect illustration of something I needed an illustration for: my constant ranting that sure, 40-Year Old Virgin was pretty funny, but comedy doesn't need to be lowest common denominator to be hilarious. This movie is very funny and very smart. Even parts of the soundtrack are references or historic in-jokes. It was refreshing to leave a comedy and know that some of it certainly went over my head. The one odd part was that when the lights came up (we had entered as the lights went out), I turned to see that the entire audience was 50+. Probably not a great sign for the film's commercial prospects...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:54 PM EST

    I read Tristram Shandy in college and loved it. But I was the only one in a strangely puritanical group of students who enjoyed it. I guess they thought that men in buckled shoes and wigs weren't supposed to be funny.

    I've been anticipating the wide release of it for a while now. . .since I first read about the novel (no pun intended. . . I think) structure of the film.

    ReplyDelete